Benefits of the Internet
While we need to consider the risks to children online so we can protect them, the Internet also holds incredible educational, social and entertainment value for children and adolescents. Consider the following:
Did you know?
- The Internet is a wonderful educational tool for children. Online, they have access to information on virtually any topic they are interested in.
- The Internet is a wonderful way for kids to stay connected to friends and family members. By sending emails, or using Instant Messaging and social networking sites, children can have meaningful and healthy interactions with friends and family members in their lives.
- There are opportunities for children who have difficulty making friends in social situations in the real world to connect with peers online. (NOTE: If the peer group is not known to the child offline, the interaction should occur under the direct supervision of a safe adult.)
- Kids are fully engaged online. They enjoy spending time watching videos, playing games, listening to music, etc. It can be a fun and relaxing place for them to spend their free time.
The Internet can also be accessed from cell phones:
- Cell phones can provide safety benefits for children and peace of mind for parents. Most children/adolescents have their phones with them almost all the time and therefore are always accessible as long as their phone is turned on. Cell phones are also useful and convenient communication tools that often come with features that children/adolescents find both fun and engaging.